Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Surprise luncheon

Of all days to come late to work I found myself, along with hundreds of others, stuck on the train waiting for the conductors to fix the doors since there was a problem with them not closing. For obvious safety reasons, we couldn't leave until they were closed. So after waiting for twenty minutes I fell asleep after we started moving, which would have been better if we had another hour into the commute but it was nice anyway, I need more sleep.

So work was definitely a surprise because we had a luncheon that I did not know about... since my team has an issue with communication. Even Cindy admits it, which is problematic since I have a feeling that I'll be out of the loop 90% of the time. But anyway, free food for me, I got to meet new people, and learned a little more about the financial development in China from one of our government departments, after which the questions followed.

One troubling thing though, which was my lack of interest halfway through the presentation. Sigh. I need to get myself checked for AADD or something. Or get myself into a career totally not what I'm doing right now. Believe me, I've tried but somehow I always land these bank ones.

Anyway we went back to our floor, had a little goodbye party for B since she's been in our unit for too long and they like to shuffle people around for security purposes. I guess. While we were in the conference room, we had a little talk about work, etc. And then the second troubling thing occured. The analysts started talking about how once people leave the group, they never really do, etc. And somehow, the subject got back to me and how I could write up some stuff for them, as if I wasn't busy already. So get this, they jokingly said they might need an intern for the intern. That worried me a bit, mainly because I'm doing this for credit and so I understand that an internship is all about getting experience and on the job training, etc. I would put the same amount of work into this job if I did get paid but the whole point is - don't overdo it. All this for a good letter of recomendation... and maybe a foot in the door.

All this for... a job that will support my hobbies. Maybe one day, my hobbies will be my job. Now that's a thought. I need to keep that in mind for the rest of this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home